Canada set a record in 2022 with 431,645 immigrants landing in the country. The population of non-permanent residents also spiked to 607,782. Meanwhile, immigration numbers continue to rise in the nation, with a figure of 500,000 per year coming in 2025, if not earlier.  

According to Statistics Canada, the nation has the highest annual population growth of any member in the Group of Seven (G7) nations. 

Canada has a green card system that provides a pathway to permanent resident (PR) status. One of those pathways is through a limited-time program for temporary residents to achieve permanent resident status based on their occupations or graduation from a post-secondary institution in the country.  

If you and your family and loved ones are seeking permanent resident status in or around Vancouver, British Columbia, contact the immigration lawyers at the Michael Golden Law Corporation. We have 35-plus years of experience in helping immigrants achieve permanent resident status to enjoy their new lives in Canada. Our team proudly serves clients not only in Vancouver but in surrounding areas, including Burnaby, Surrey, and Coquitlam. 



What Is a Permanent Resident (PR) Stream?

Currently, Canada nationwide is observing a Temporary Resident to Permanent Resident Pathway, also called the TR to PR Pathway. The program basically allows temporary residents and their families in certain occupations – namely, healthcare, health-related, or other “essential” services -- or those who have recently graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution -- to apply for permanent resident status. 

Graduates and workers must be present in Canada and currently working with authorization at the time of their application, have proficiency in one of Canada’s official languages, and meet general admissibility requirements to qualify. 

There are six streams – or allowed paths – to take advantage of this program:  

  • Workers in-Canada: Stream A (healthcare)  

  • Workers in-Canada: Stream B (essential non-healthcare)  

  • International Graduates  

  • French-speaking Workers in-Canada: Stream A (healthcare)  

  • French-speaking Workers in-Canada: Stream B (essential, non-healthcare)  

  • French-speaking International Graduates 

There are quotas for each stream. Stream A, workers in healthcare, has a limit of 20,000 applications to be accepted. So far, the stream is still open. Stream B has reached its allotted maximum, as has the stream for International Graduates, English speaking. The three French-speaking streams are still short of their allocations: Stream A, Stream B, and International Graduates. 

Determining Your Eligibility

To apply, you will need to submit supporting documents, along with biometric information – fingerprints and photos. Documents include proof of your entry and status in Canada, which would include your most recent immigration document, such as a work permit or a study permit.   

You must give documentary proof that you are currently employed. This can involve a reference letter from your current employer, including: 

  • The location of your work.  

  • The period of your employment – start date forward.  

  • A description of your main duties and responsibilities.  

  • Your compensation details – annual wages and benefits.  

  • The number of hours you work each week.  

  • Your employer's name, signature, full address, telephone number, and email address (if applicable). 

British Columbia Skills Immigration Stream

In addition to the Canada-wide pathway, British Columbia also maintains what is called The Skilled Worker Stream. To be eligible for this stream, you must: 

  • Have accepted a full-time, indeterminate job offer (the job offer must not be temporary or have a defined end date) from a B.C. employer. The job must be in a skilled occupation.  

  • Be qualified to perform the duties of the job.  

  • Have a minimum of two years of full-time (or full-time equivalent) work experience in any skilled occupation.   

  • Show you can support yourself and your dependents.  

  • Have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada.  

  • Meet minimum language requirements.  

  • Have a wage offer in line with B.C. wage rates for the occupation. 

Canada relies on the National Occupation Classification (NOC) system to determine eligibility for permanent resident status under this program. Your job must be in NOC TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3 to qualify.  

TEER 0 are management occupations. TEER 1 are occupations that usually require a university degree. TEER 2 usually requires a college degree, an apprenticeship, or training of two or more years or involves supervisory occupations. TEER 3 typically requires a college diploma, an apprenticeship training program of less than two years, or more than six months of on-the-job training.  

There is also a Health Authority Stream available. If you are a physician, midwife, or nurse practitioner, you may also be eligible to apply under the Health Authority stream.  

Your employer must also be willing to provide supporting documentation and meet certain requirements, including offering a wage in line with industry standards, providing a signed job offer, and completing and signing an employer declaration form. 

It is vital to contact a reliable lawyer who can analyze all of your options and walk you through the process.  


In either case, contact the Michael Golden Law Corporation. We will work hand-in-hand with you to strive for your permanent resident status. The process can involve challenges and requests for additional information that drag out the process. We’ll be there for you to help you reach your goal, no matter what challenges may arise.